Sunday, March 6, 2011

The "I Just Felt Like Running" Virtual 5k Race Report

This was a fun race for me.  Heather graciously accepted my offer to run this with me, and what is better than starting your day off with your best friend AND a nice run?? Well, I just can't think of anything so how bout dat! Anyway, I haven't run in a few weeks but I was determined to be a warrior and power through. Here is a picture of us before the race being very fierce and athletic:

I was surprised at my endurance, actually. It's definitely taken a hit, but not as big of one as I'd imagined. For the first 2 miles, I was good and keeping a steady 12 minute pace. My breathing wasn't too eractic. The last 1.1 mile kicked both of our asses though! I think doing the 30 Day Shred every day has basically conditioned my body not to exert itself for more than about 25 minutes at a time. My legs never hurt, but they did get sort of weak and I couldn't catch my breath a couple of times so we had to slow down and take a few walk breaks. BUT we finished and let me just tell you, I have MISSED that running afterglow. Here is a picture of our afterglow:

Thank you, Jeff, for putting on this race and getting me back outside! This has totally whet my appetite for more running. I can't wait to get out there and start training for my upcoming 10k.

3 comments: