Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Plan


Okay, as of today, I have exactly 16 weeks until the Augusta Half-Marathon. I have a great 14-week training plan in my awesome book, so that means that I have only 2 weeks left before I "go into training." In that time, I have to focus on expanding my running base to 3 miles, because that is where the training plan starts. Since right now I can only run about 1.5 miles comfortably, that's going to be a daunting job, but I'm not letting to it get to me. I'm confident that I can at least mostly run/walk 3 miles by the time this two weeks is over. Once I'm officially training, here is what my week is going to look like:

Sunday-Long Run (1st week is a 3 miler, next a 4 miler, and so on)
Monday-Short Run (stays 2 miles for pretty much the duration of the program)
Tuesday-Rest Day
Wednesday-Intervals (speed training)
Thursday-Short Run
Friday-Sometimes short run, sometimes intervals
Saturday-Rest Day

Doesn't this sound like FUN?!
In addition to all that, I will be doing strength-training twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I'm also going to be very careful about nutrition and hydration and rest. Any tips in ANY area will be greatly appreciated. I'm really really going to need all the support I can get in the coming months.

Additional thoughts:
-My BFF Heather is going to be running this race with me! I was so elated when she told me. This is going to be the kind of amazing experience that you just HAVE to share with your best friend.
-You are only given three hours to run this race and I am a little petrified that I won't be able to do it in that time frame.
-I am worried about dumb things, like where do you get your number and the timing chip thingy?
-13.1 miles is a long damn way and I think I'm probably a little bit of a loon!

It is my sincere hope and belief that when I line up at the starting line for this half-marathon, I will be significantly slimmer than I am now. In good faith, I am putting up a picture of me taken yesterday before my run. And with un-Jennifer-like restraint, I am not even going to comment on how ugly and fat I am!

I cannot WAIT for the after pic!

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog via the active.com page on FB. You're going to be AWESOME at Augusta!!

    As for the chip and number ~ don't sweat it. A day or two before the race they will have an Expo. You'll pick up your racer's packet, there'll be boths and vendors, etc...it'll totally get you in the zone and revved up for the race.
    I'm nursing an injured foot right now or else I'd be training for my first half, too. Next year I guess!
    I just started a new blog, and I'm trying to get the word out a bit. http://healthyfor100.blogspot.com I'd love it if you'd come by for a visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer:

    It's Lisa again. You look fantastic. You are going to do well. I have my Half Marathon in November. We can do it girl. I ran/walked a 5K this morning. It was so hot and humid. It was a fun run. You did not have a chip time. Just looked at the clock when you finished. I think your plan is going to work. I might use it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so freaking proud of you! :)
    This is awesome!
    I love the plan, by the way-- if I can figure out how to make it work during the school year with having to pick the kids up from daycare, and all that jazz, I might try to do something like that.

    And... you look awesome-- VICTORIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. came across your blog and just wanted to tell you, YOU will do AwESomE in Augusta!! I started running 3 months ago. I've done a couple of 5K's and my next big thing is a 10K in September I began training for. I'm definitely planning on a Half Marathon next summer! I look forward to reading and watching you progress towards goals. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, so glad I found your Blog, we are living in parallel universes ;-p, I want to be a runner and I am desperate to lose weight, it is winter here in Aus and a bit chilly which is not helping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen! I continue to be proud, of course the last line where you did (not) mention the fat and ugly is old Jen sneaking in. Slap her I say! I am glad you and Heather are doing the half together that is great motivation for you. Also remember if all those peeps on Biggest Loser can run a half marathon 3 mos after being 500lbs you so have this in the bag! Don't you dare let it intimidate you. You are amazing and I love you always!!

    ReplyDelete