Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Couch to 5K???

Ok, so I ran another mile last night and tonight. That puts my week's mileage up to about 4 miles (I really need to keep track better). I seem to be stuck at the one mile mark. Different things seem to go wrong at a mile-sometimes I'm too winded to continue, sometimes my leg muscles are screaming at me, and lately I feel nauseous and dizzy by the time I reach a mile. I am attributing the latter problem to the stifling heat we have down here in Georgia. It got over 100 degrees today, and it's only June! I do try to run late in the evenings, but the heat and humidity get to me. Anyway, I'm getting off subject here. The point is, I run a mile and then I can't go anymore.
So! I am considering jumping into the Couch to 5k program I have read about online. I wouldn't start at Week 1 because I'm definitely beyond that, but maybe somewhere around week four. I haven't made any decisions either way, because the plan offers a little bit more structure than I would like. However, that may be what I need to push myself forward.
On a side note---adopting the "barefoot" running style has been the best thing that I ever did! My knee hasn't bothered me once since I ditched those blasted running shoes. I experience muscle soreness, but my joints are absolutely fine. I would encourage anyone who experiences a lot of joint pain when they run to consider the benefits of barefoot running.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, You should definitely consider the C25K or at least the principles of walking/running to get you past the 1 mile point. Based on what you have said I would start at Week 3. Best of luck. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I just caught up on all your posts. I started a couch potato to 5K program (with a coach) the same week you started running. It's been awesome! Go slow, no more injuries!

    Looking foward to hearing more on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your advice, and for reading my miserable blog! :-) I think I am gonna try the C25k...I'm getting excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jennifer, really enjoy your blog. I'd invite you to mine, but frankly I don't know how!
    Wondering what shoes you've gone with-are they Vibrams?
    Happy Running!
    Jo-Anne

    ReplyDelete