Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Miles Apart


Yesterday was a very important day for me. I ran my first mile!! If you would have asked me a month ago if I thought I would ever be able to run a mile, I would have probably burst into tears. I had that little faith in myself. Amazing the things that can change in a month!
It was a great moment. My husband and children were waiting at the mile mark cheering me along. My breathing was controlled, and my legs felt wonderful. I started out the run with a lot of negative thoughts, but I just tuned them out and tuned into my breathing and concentrated on the sounds of my footfalls on the asphalt.
I realize that, in actual distance, a mile is not very far. However, this achievement changed a lot for me. I set a goal,and I actually reached it. Now that I can wrap my brain around being able to run a mile, I'm starting to visualize a 5k in the near future.
I don't know how much weight I have lost so far, if any. I've decided not to concentrate upon weight loss right now. I have fallen in love with running, and because of that, I am shifting naturally into a healthier eating pattern. If I eat too much, or if I eat a food that is too heavy, my running will suffer for it. I'm finding that that is all the motivation I need to put down the chocolate cake! I know that the weight loss will come, because I'm finally doing the right things for my body. I'm looking forward to seeing my pants size shrink, but I truly don't think that anything will be able to beat the sense of accomplishment I felt yesterday.
A mile is a short distance, physically. Mentally, I am miles apart from the woman who almost gave up three weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment